Video: Dallas police shoot knife-wielding man
Police report says officer fired on the man after he walked toward police with a knife
RYLIE, Texas — Dallas police have opened a criminal investigation and placed an officer on indefinite administrative leave after he shot and wounded a mentally ill man.
A police report says Officer Cardan Spencer fired on 52-year-old Bobby Gerald Bennett after he walked toward police with a "knife raised in an aggressive manner."
But WFAA-TV in Dallas released surveillance video Thursday from a neighbor's camera. That video shows Bennett standing as two officers approach him. Seconds later, Spencer fires at the man and he falls to the ground. Bennett remains in a hospital intensive care unit.
Police arrived in the suburban neighborhood on Monday after Bennett's mother, Joyce Jackson, called police and told them that her son, who is a schizophrenic, was angry and pacing the street with a knife.
Copyright 2013 The Associated Press
Copyright Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- After HOA demands pro-cop flag taken down, family shows support for LE in a different way
- Video: SC motorcycle pursuit ends in fatal wreck
- 50 to 60 teens swarm Calif. train, rob weekend riders
- Sheriff: Suspect opened fire on Texas deputy’s children, home in 'attack'
- 10 ways law enforcement ruined me as a woman