3 NM officers wounded, suspect dead after shootout
The wounded officers remained hospitalized Saturday night, the chief said he prays for a full recovery
ALBUQUERQUE, N.M. — Two Albuquerque police officers and a Bernalillo County sheriff's deputy were wounded during a shootout and chase that stretched from the south side of the city to the North Valley.
Roads in various parts of the city remained cordoned off Saturday evening as authorities investigated the string of chaotic events that started before noon Saturday when a suspect shot at officers.
The chase ended at a gas station where the suspect was pronounced dead. Police did not immediately release the suspect's name or details about what may have sparked the violence.
The wounded officers remained hospitalized Saturday evening. Police Chief Allen Banks and Sheriff Dan Houston issued a statement saying they pray that all three will fully recover.
Banks and Houston were asking anyone who witnessed Saturday's events to call police.
Copyright 2013 The Associated Press
Copyright Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- Okla. chief defends cop after TASER threat sparks controversy, video released
- 2 words that should never appear in your police report
- Police: 'Severely battered' off-duty Del. trooper fatally shoots boyfriend
- UK police: 19 dead, roughly 50 injured after explosion at Ariana Grande concert
- NYPD: Train worker refused to open gate for cop pursuing shoplifter