Video released of Wash. shooting of robbery suspect
Suspected robber Russell Smith was fatally shot when he started driving towards officers
By PoliceOne Staff
BELLEVUE, Wash. — Footage from a Bellevue SWAT vehicle that shows the fatal shooting of a robbery suspect has been released.
Police arrived at the home of Russell Smith, 51, wanted in connection with several robberies, when they found him sitting in a gold Mercedes, according to KIRO-TV.
Video from the March 22 incident shows the Mercedes back up, hitting a truck, then start to pull forward when 3 SWAT officers opened fire, killing Smith.
“My dad was not trying to kill any police officers. I believe he was trying to get away from them,” said Smith’s son, Colin Clark, who believes the officers were wrong to open fire.
Police argue that they were in danger at that moment, and that the vehicle was Smith’s weapon, according to the report.
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- Trooper under investigation for calling ICE to report illegal immigrant
- Police say newly freed gang member killed Calif. officer
- Bystander helps officer under attack by jumping on suspect's back
- Sheriff Joe successor pulls back on immigration holds in jails
- Ala. church asks for its own police department