Video released of Wash. shooting of robbery suspect
Suspected robber Russell Smith was fatally shot when he started driving towards officers
By PoliceOne Staff
BELLEVUE, Wash. — Footage from a Bellevue SWAT vehicle that shows the fatal shooting of a robbery suspect has been released.
Police arrived at the home of Russell Smith, 51, wanted in connection with several robberies, when they found him sitting in a gold Mercedes, according to KIRO-TV.
Video from the March 22 incident shows the Mercedes back up, hitting a truck, then start to pull forward when 3 SWAT officers opened fire, killing Smith.
“My dad was not trying to kill any police officers. I believe he was trying to get away from them,” said Smith’s son, Colin Clark, who believes the officers were wrong to open fire.
Police argue that they were in danger at that moment, and that the vehicle was Smith’s weapon, according to the report.
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- Video: Alaska police fatally shoot armed man holding hostages
- PD removes 'Blue Lives Matter,' Punisher car decals after criticism
- Police: Some Chicago gangs turning to rifles for added firepower
- Report: Hiring standards may be lowered to meet Border Patrol staffing goal
- Retired CHP sergeant dies while protecting friend from robber