Fla. cop shot in face during shootout, gunman killed
Trooper Lawrence Andrew Litzell returned fire, killing the suspect who shot him
By PoliceOne Staff
PALATKA, Fla. — A Florida Highway Patrol trooper is recovering at UF Health Shands Hospital after being shot in the face during an exchange of gunfire early Saturday.
Trooper Lawrence Andrew Litzell pulled over a vehicle when the driver and a passenger exited the vehicle and began to flee.
Somourian Jamal Wingo, 24, fired at Litzell, striking him in the face, according to the Gainesville Sun. Litzell managed to return fire, killing Wingo.
The Florida Department of Law Enforcement is still actively searching for the second suspect, whose name has not been released.
Litzell is in stable condition and will remain on leave during the investigation.
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- After HOA demands pro-cop flag taken down, family shows support for LE in a different way
- Sheriff: Suspect opened fire on Texas deputy’s children, home in 'attack'
- 50 to 60 teens swarm Calif. train, rob weekend riders
- Video: SC motorcycle pursuit ends in fatal wreck
- Del. trooper killed, suspect barricaded in house