Dallas lawyer killed after opening fire on police
Michael Edward Schmidt, a lawyer at a prominent law firm, reported a burglary, then opened fire on responding officers
By PoliceOne Staff
DALLAS — Police responding to reports of a burglary at a Dallas apartment complex were fired upon early Thursday, prompting police to return fire, killing the gunman.
Michael Edward Schmidt, a lawyer at a prominent law firm, told an employee to call police to report a break-in, then barricaded himself in a hallway near the lobby, according to Dallas News.
As officers arrived he opened fire, despite attempts from officers to negotiate. No officers or other residents were injured in the exchange of gunfire. Schmidt was killed by police, according to the report.
The motives behind Schmidt’s actions are still under investigation.
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- DC cops' body cams won't be on while they monitor inauguration demonstrators
- Slain Fla. officer's cuffs used to arrest suspect
- Pa. cop sues Wal-Mart over termination for carrying gun on duty
- Details emerge in shooting of Ariz. trooper by driver he sought to help
- Video: Alleged Fla. cop killer refuses lawyer, shouts profanities in court