Police group backs officers involved in NC shooting
18-year-old Keith Vidal was shot and killed
By Adam Wagner
Star News Online
BOILING SPRING LAKES, N.C. — Southport Police Officer Bryon Vassey was protecting another officer when he shot and killed 18-year-old Keith Vidal at the teenager's Boiling Spring Lakes home on Sunday, according to a statement released Wednesday by the N.C. Police Benevolent Association (NCPBA).
Boiling Spring Lakes Officer John Thomas, Brunswick County Sheriff's Office Deputy Samantha Lewis and Vassey used appropriate procedures for armed domestic calls, according to the statement.
During the initial 911 call, Wilsey said the teenager wanted to fight his mother and was carrying a screwdriver. Vidal repeatedly refused to surrender that screwdriver after police arrived, according to the NCPBA statement.
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- 84-year-old cop retires after 61 years on force
- Wash. officer shot multiple times during domestic call dies
- Retired RI cop helps Fla. trooper under attack
- Police: Marksman fatally shot Wash. cop killer who was using child as shield
- Photo: Son of slain Mo. cop receives teddy bears made from dad’s uniform