Police group backs officers involved in NC shooting
18-year-old Keith Vidal was shot and killed
By Adam Wagner
Star News Online
BOILING SPRING LAKES, N.C. — Southport Police Officer Bryon Vassey was protecting another officer when he shot and killed 18-year-old Keith Vidal at the teenager's Boiling Spring Lakes home on Sunday, according to a statement released Wednesday by the N.C. Police Benevolent Association (NCPBA).
Boiling Spring Lakes Officer John Thomas, Brunswick County Sheriff's Office Deputy Samantha Lewis and Vassey used appropriate procedures for armed domestic calls, according to the statement.
During the initial 911 call, Wilsey said the teenager wanted to fight his mother and was carrying a screwdriver. Vidal repeatedly refused to surrender that screwdriver after police arrived, according to the NCPBA statement.
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- DC officers cannot record inauguration demonstrators
- Pa. cop sues Wal-Mart over termination for carrying gun on duty
- Slain Fla. officer's cuffs used to arrest suspect
- Pa. troopers union criticizes plan to scrap lie-detector tests for recruits
- Details emerge in shooting of Ariz. trooper by driver he sought to help