Puerto Rico agent dies a week after shooting
A member of the Puerto Rico Police Department died after succumbing to gunshot wounds sustained seven days earlier
Duty Death: Carlos Rivera-Vega - [Puerto Rico]
End of Service: 01/21/2014
By PoliceOne Staff
MAYAGUEZ, Puerto Rico — A member of the Puerto Rico Police Department died after succumbing to gunshot wounds sustained seven days earlier in a shooting.
Agent Carlos Rivera-Vega was investigating a scene at a housing complex in Mayaguez with other members of the Mayaguez Drugs Division when the incident occurred.
A resident approached the officers to question their presence in the complex. During the confrontation, the resident pulled out a handgun and opened fire, hitting Agent Rivera-Vega in the abdomen, according to odmp.org.
The suspect committed suicide on the scene.
Rivera-Vega was hit twice. He succumbed to his wounds during his stay at Rio Piedras Medical Center. He is survived by his wife and two children.
- Officer Safety
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- Video: Mich. cop shatters car window after driver refuses to give ID
- Man blows up hand while attempting to kill 2 Ky. deputies
- Okla. chief defends cop after TASER threat sparks controversy, video released
- Man who claimed girlfriend choked during oral sex acquitted in murder case
- Police: 'Severely battered' off-duty Del. trooper fatally shoots boyfriend