logo for print

Calif. police shoot man who threatened them with bayonet

The suspect had warned officers Saturday they would have to kill him if they wanted to take him into custody

By Jennie Rodriguez-Moore
The Record

STOCKTON — A man suspected of beating a woman was killed by Stockton police Sunday morning after he confronted an officer with a large knife, police reports say.

Police made a traffic stop at 11 a.m. on Airport Way, just north of Sixth Street when they saw a vehicle of interest involving a domestic-violence incident Saturday night.

As an officer approached the gold 2012 Chevy Impala, the suspect, identified as 45-year-old Donald Haynes, came out of the car with a 191/2-inch bayonet, Stockton police said. The blade was 151/2 inches long.

When he failed to comply, the officer fired three times, striking Haynes at least once.

"The suspect fell backwards and officers could not see his hands," police spokesman Officer Joe Silva said in a statement.
Haynes continued to ignore orders from officers to drop the knife.

"The officers at this point deescalated the use of force and deployed a K9," the statement said. "The suspect still did not comply and an officer hit the suspect with a baton."

Haynes was taken to a local hospital, where he died from his injuries.

Stockton police initially came into contact with Haynes on Saturday night on an assault report in the 1500 block of Carpenter Road.
Responding officers heard a woman screaming inside the house and upon entering saw Haynes drag the woman into a room. Officers knocked down the locked door and witnessed Haynes beating the woman.

"As officers were trying to take the suspect into custody, the suspect told the officers that they were going to have to kill him," the police statement said.

Haynes was able to break away from police and flee the scene. Haynes was a parolee previously convicted of assault with a deadly weapon.

Authorities have initiated a multi agency protocol investigation into the shooting.

The Police Department identified the officer involved as Robert Johnson III, a member of the Field Services Division who was hired in 1996.

Johnson was placed on three-day administrative leave, which is standard procedure.

Copyright 2014 The Record

McClatchy-Tribune News Service

Recommended for you

Join the discussion

Copyright © 2018 PoliceOne.com. All rights reserved.