Ore. cop shot, K-9 killed in traffic stop shooting
An Oregon officer was shot and a K-9 was killed after a suspect with a rifle opened fire during a traffic stop
By PoliceOne Staff
PORTLAND, Ore. — An Oregon officer was shot and a K-9 was killed after a suspect with a rifle opened fire during a traffic stop.
According to The Oregonian, the officer is being treated for injuries that are non-life threatening. The police K-9 was found dead near the scene of the shooting after a search by police, and suffered at least one fatal gunshot wound.
The suspect was taken into custody after several 911 calls from the public. A resident, David Bell, described his encounter with the armed man, whom he believes was carrying a rifle.
“He raised it and pointed it at me and said he didn’t want to do it, but would shoot if he had to,” Bell said.
Bell called 911 and the suspect lowered the rifle, apologizing before running away.
Police believe the suspect may be armed with an AR-15. Police have yet to release further details surrounding the shooting.
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- After HOA demands pro-cop flag taken down, family shows support for LE in a different way
- 50 to 60 teens swarm Calif. train, rob weekend riders
- Video: SC motorcycle pursuit ends in fatal wreck
- Sheriff: Suspect opened fire on Texas deputy’s children, home in 'attack'
- 10 ways law enforcement ruined me as a woman