Philly police pursuit ends with fatal shooting
The suspect eventually jumped out of the vehicle and ran with a gun in his hand and aimed it at officers
WILKINSBURG, Pa. — Police in western Pennsylvania say a man was shot and killed after a chase in Pittsburgh and a nearby borough.
Pittsburgh police said officers tried to pull a vehicle over on a traffic violation at about 3:20 a.m. Monday, but the suspect fled and the chase went into nearby Wilkinsburg.
Public safety department spokeswoman Sonya Toler said the suspect eventually jumped out of the vehicle and ran with a gun in his hand, pursued by officers.
Toler told WPXI-TV that the man was ordered to stop, but he spun around and appeared about to shoot, so officers fired, killing him. His name hasn't been released.
Police said an officer was taken to a hospital for treatment of injuries sustained during the chase.
Copyright 2014 Associated Press
Copyright Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- After HOA demands pro-cop flag taken down, family shows support for LE in a different way
- Video: SC motorcycle pursuit ends in fatal wreck
- 50 to 60 teens swarm Calif. train, rob weekend riders
- 10 ways law enforcement ruined me as a woman
- Video: Mo. governor completes SWAT challenge in honor of slain deputy