La. officer shot in neck, suspect arrested
Officer was shot in the neck during a domestic call Monday
By PoliceOne Staff
JENNINGS, La. — An officer with the Jennings Police Department was shot in the neck during a domestic call Monday.
KLFY reports Sergeant Ricky Benoit and another officer were responding to a disturbance when the incident occurred.
After a woman inside the home told police a man was somewhere in the residence, officers searched the building.
30-year-old George D. Lowdins was hiding in a bathroom closet when he shot Officer Benoit in the neck with a pistol.
Lowdins was subdued by another officer and arrested. He later admitted to the shooting during questioning by state police.
Benoit was transported to a local hospital, where he remains in stable condition.
Lowdins has been charged with attempted first degree murder of a police officer, possession of a firearm by a convicted felon, resisting an officer by flight and domestic abuse battery, according to the report.
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- DC cops' body cams won't be on while they monitor inauguration demonstrators
- Slain Fla. officer's cuffs used to arrest suspect
- Pa. cop sues Wal-Mart over termination for carrying gun on duty
- Details emerge in shooting of Ariz. trooper by driver he sought to help
- Video: Alleged Fla. cop killer refuses lawyer, shouts profanities in court