Mo. officers fatally shoot knife-wielding man
A large crowd gathered at the scene, not far from Ferguson, which has seen days of protests after a fatal police shooting
ST. LOUIS — St. Louis police say officers shot and killed a 23-year-old man who was wielding a knife and refused to drop it.
Police Chief Sam Dotson said officers responded to Tuesday to a store where the man was reported to have stolen energy drinks and a pastry.
Dotson says the man was acting erratically and told responding officers to "shoot me now, kill me now." He says officers opened fire when the man began approaching them with the knife.
KMOV reports a large crowd gathered at the scene, not far from Ferguson, which has seen days of protests over the fatal shooting of 18-year-old Michael Brown by a police officer.
No officers were injured in the incident Tuesday.
Copyright 2014 The Associated Press
Copyright Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- After HOA demands pro-cop flag taken down, family shows support for LE in a different way
- Video: SC motorcycle pursuit ends in fatal wreck
- 50 to 60 teens swarm Calif. train, rob weekend riders
- Sheriff: Suspect opened fire on Texas deputy’s children, home in 'attack'
- 10 ways law enforcement ruined me as a woman