Video: Ky. cops fatally shoot man charging them with knife
A man was fatally shot after charging officers with knife
By PoliceOne Staff
LOUISVILLE, Ky. — Officers shot and killed a man who charged at them with a knife August 5, WDRB reported.
Detective John White and Sgt. Jason Poston were at a convenience store on a break when 18-year-old Tyler Alexander Dattilo approached them, Police Chief Steve Conrad told the publication.
After approaching the detectives, Dattilo quickly pulled out a 4-inch knife — forcing the officers to retreat and draw their weapons, the Courier-Journal reported. As Dattilo advanced, the officers fired their weapons.
“Officers are often judged for a lifetime based on a split second decision,” Conrad said at a press conference. “You know, as police officers we hope that we never ever have to use deadly force.”
The department has released records of White and Poston. Both officers have a number of commendations. Poston has two suspensions and two written reprimands on his record, one for an off-duty assault and another for missed court dates. However, he has also received more than three dozen letters of appreciation and commendation during his time at the department.
The incident is still under investigation. No other injuries were reported in the incident.
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- DC cops' body cams won't be on while they monitor inauguration demonstrators
- Slain Fla. officer's cuffs used to arrest suspect
- Pa. cop sues Wal-Mart over termination for carrying gun on duty
- Video: Alleged Fla. cop killer refuses lawyer, shouts profanities in court
- Details emerge in shooting of Ariz. trooper by driver he sought to help