Pa. trooper shot during traffic stop upgraded to 'stable' condition

Cpl. Seth Kelly continues to recover from gunshot wounds to his neck, shoulder and thigh after being shot during a traffic stop

By Pamela Lehman
The Morning Call (Allentown, Pa.)

ALLENTOWN, Pa. — Pennsylvania State Police Cpl. Seth Kelly, who was shot several times during a gun battle along Route 33, had his medical condition upgraded Friday as he continues his “long road” to recovery, his troop commander said.

Kelly continues to recover to gunshot wounds to his neck, shoulder and thigh in the shooting that happened after a traffic stop Tuesday morning in Plainfield Township, said Capt. Richard D’Ambrosio, commander of Troop M that serves Lehigh, Northampton and Bucks counties.

In this undated photo released by the Pennsylvania State Police, Cpl. Seth J. Kelly, is shown. (Pennsylvania State Police via AP Photo)
In this undated photo released by the Pennsylvania State Police, Cpl. Seth J. Kelly, is shown. (Pennsylvania State Police via AP Photo)

Kelly was in critical condition at St. Luke’s University Hospital in Fountain Hill, but was upgraded to stable condition on Friday, said D’Ambrosio.

Kelly “has a long road ahead of him right now,” D’Ambrosio said.

Kelly, a 13-year-veteran, likely saved his life by wrapping his leg with a tourniquet, officials say.

Kelly is the husband of Philomena Kelly, a Forks Township police detective, according to officials.

The suspect in the shooting, 22-year-old Daniel Kahil Clary of Monroe County, is also recovering from several gunshot wounds, authorities say. Clary remains at Lehigh Valley Hospital-Cedar Crest under guard until his medical condition improves enough for him to be taken to prison.

Clary is charged with two counts of attempted homicide and two counts of attempted homicide of a police officer, officials say. Clary’s bail Wednesday was set at $1 million.

Clary suffered gunshot wounds to the back of his neck, his side and hand, state police say.

Authorities say Trooper Ryan Seiple stopped Clary’s vehicle for speeding and gave him a citation. But, when Seiple started to drive away, Clary flagged him down and asked how to pay for the citation, police say.

Seiple suspected Clary was under the influence and saw drug paraphernalia in Clary’s car, authorities say. Seiple called for backup and after Cpl. Kelly arrived, they gave Clary a sobriety test that he failed, police say.

As the troopers tried to arrest Clary, a “knock-down, drag-out” fight ensued as cars sped past them, police say.

Clary was hit with a stun gun, but it had little affect on him, police say. Authorities say Clary got away from the troopers, got a handgun from his car and opened fire, hitting Kelly several times.

The troopers returned fire and Clary was able to get back into his car and drove himself to Easton Hospital, police say. Clary admitted to trying to disarm one of the troopers during the struggle and shooting at the troopers, according to Northampton County Court records.

©2017 The Morning Call (Allentown, Pa.)

McClatchy-Tribune News Service

Recommended for you

Join the discussion

Copyright © 2019 All rights reserved.