Cuffed Mich. teen shoots officer, kills self with cop’s gun
16-year-old slipped out of his handcuffs and shot himself and an officer during transport to a juvenile center
By PoliceOne Staff
HAMPTON TOWNSHIP, Mich. — A 16-year-old male slipped out of his handcuffs and shot himself and an officer during transport to a juvenile center Thursday.
According to MLive, the teen managed to grab the officer’s gun as they arrived at the Bay County Juvenile Home.
The officer was shot in the hand during the incident. The officer then moved for cover as the juvenile ran into the parking lot and shot himself in the head.
The gun was then taken from the youth by a facility worker.
Both the officer and the teen were transported to a local hospital.
The teen was put on life support, but died Thursday night, WNEM reported. He was taken into custody earlier in the day for a probation violation on a destruction of property charge, according to MLive.
The officer is expected to recover from his injuries.
Police are currently investigating the incident. The teen did not have a history of violence, according to the report.
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- Sheriff: Suspect opened fire on Texas deputy’s children, home in 'attack'
- After HOA demands pro-cop flag taken down, family shows support for LE in a different way
- 50 to 60 teens swarm Calif. train, rob weekend riders
- Video: SC motorcycle pursuit ends in fatal wreck
- Del. trooper killed, suspect barricaded in house