Video: NM cops attacked during fatal domestic violence call

Woman died Sunday as a result of a brutal attack at the hands of her husband in January

By Ryan Boetel
Albuquerque Journal

ALBUQUERQUE, N.M. — Albuquerque police said that a woman died Sunday as a result of a brutal attack at the hands of her husband in January.

Renee Tafoya never regained consciousness after the assault and she died as a result of her injuries, according to a police news release.

Anthony Abeyta is jailed on a $500,000 cash or surety bond as a result of the attack, for which he was indicted on 28 felony charges including attempted murder. Officer Tanner Tixier, a police spokesman, said the District Attorney's Office has been made aware of Tafoya's death and the office may amend the charges. An autopsy to officially determine her cause of death was performed Monday.

Police were called to Tafoya and Abeyta's home near Chelwood Park and Interstate 40 on Jan. 16. The couples' 18-year-old son, Anthony Abeyta Jr., called police to report that his father had killed his mother. He told police Abeyta repeatedly kicked and punched Tafoya in the face and temple, according to police reports.

When police arrived, the elder Abeyta attacked the responding officers, Sgts. Ferris Simmons and Paul Judd. Both officers were punched, and Simmons was taken to the hospital for injuries to her head and wrist and bruises under both eyes.

The officers used a Taser to take Abeyta into custody and went inside to find Tafoya unconscious and struggling to breathe, according to police reports.

She was taken to the hospital, where doctors reported that her entire face was fractured, her bottom jaw was broken in half and she had a brain bleed and showed signs of brain damage, according to police reports.

She also had marks on her neck that matched the bottom of the shoes Abeyta was wearing, according to the reports.

Abeyta, when he was arrested, told responding paramedics that he hadn't been taking his "psych meds." He also told police that he was "cursed" and that "It's not my soul, it's not me," according to the reports.

"We express our sympathies to Anthony Jr. and the entire family who have suffered from this horrendous incident," Tixier said in the news release.

Copyright 2014 the Albuquerque Journal 

McClatchy-Tribune News Service

Recommended for you

Join the discussion

Copyright © 2019 All rights reserved.