Wounded Ohio officer dies at hospital
CLEVELAND — A police officer who was shot investigating a group of men drinking beer inside an abandoned garage died hours later at a hospital, authorities said Saturday.
Derek Owens, 36, and another officer approached a the men Friday night and chased them when they started to run away, police spokesman Lt. Thomas Stacho said.
Owens caught up with one of the men, who turned around and shot the officer in the stomach just beneath his bulletproof vest, Stacho said. Owens returned fire and the suspect then exchanged shots with Owens' partner.
No one else appeared to be injured, Stacho said.
Owens underwent surgery at MetroHealth Medical Center but died early Saturday, a hospital spokeswoman said.
Police arrested one man in the shooting but no charges had been filed, Stacho said. Investigators returned to the east-side neighborhood Saturday to collect more evidence, he said.
Police had received complaints from residents about the neighborhood, where many boarded-up duplexes had been vandalized. Owens was a 10-year veteran of the police department.
Copyright Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- Sheriff: Suspect opened fire on Texas deputy’s children, home in 'attack'
- After HOA demands pro-cop flag taken down, family shows support for LE in a different way
- 50 to 60 teens swarm Calif. train, rob weekend riders
- Video: SC motorcycle pursuit ends in fatal wreck
- Del. trooper killed, suspect barricaded in house