Domestic leads to 4 dead in Miss.
McCOMB, Miss. — A man fatally shot two people Wednesday in the bank where his ex-wife worked, then forced the woman to flee with him before killing her and committing suicide, authorities said.
''It wasn't a bank robbery. It was a domestic situation,'' McComb Police Chief Billie Hughes said.
Initial reports said Rachel Lanham was likely shot and dumped out of the vehicle on U.S. Highway 51. However, Pike County Coroner Percy Pittman said he thinks she may have been trying to get out of the car and was ejected when it hit a tree.
Robert Lanham died of a gunshot wound to the head after apparently shooting himself while driving, authorities said.
Rachel Lanham worked at the bank as a financial adviser, The McComb Enterprise-Journal.
Police say Fayard was killed when he tried to prevent Robert Lanham from taking his ex-wife hostage.
The newspaper reported that court records show the Lanhams married in 1999 and divorced in August 2007, citing irreconcilable differences.
Copyright Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- DC cops' body cams won't be on while they monitor inauguration demonstrators
- Slain Fla. officer's cuffs used to arrest suspect
- Pa. cop sues Wal-Mart over termination for carrying gun on duty
- Details emerge in shooting of Ariz. trooper by driver he sought to help
- Texas cops don cowboy hats with uniforms