Protesters cause Olympic torch route to change
The San Francisco Chronicle
View the exclusive P1 Olympic Torch Slideshow
SAN FRANCISCO — San Francisco leaders surprised thousands of supporters and protesters today by rerouting the Beijing Olympic torch run from its advertised route to a more picturesque course that avoided the throngs of demonstrators along the Embarcadero.
The closing ceremony at Justin Herman Plaza was canceled although thousands of people remained there, and the torch was put onto a bus bound for San Francisco International Airport. After a closing ceremony at the airport, the torch is expected to leave for Buenos Aires on a China Airways flight.
Copyright © 2013 LexisNexis, a division of Reed Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.
Full story: Protesters cause Olympic torch route to change
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- ND bill protects drivers who negligently hit protesters obstructing traffic
- Slain Fla. officer's patrol car vandalized
- Minn. lawmakers chart new course in response to OIS protests
- Video: Calif. police fatally shoot man, face wrongful death lawsuit
- Trump hosts LE at White House, pledges support for police