Iowa man steals cruiser for chase, kills self
The Associated Press
AMES, Iowa — Police say a man who fatally shot an Iowa convenience store clerk took his own life after stealing a squad car and leading police on a high-speed chase.
Police say the man shot a clerk at a store in Ames on Sunday.
Ames police Cmdr. Jim Robinson says an officer from a neighboring town later spotted the suspect riding a bicycle. An altercation ensued, shots were fired and the suspect got away in the officer's squad car.
The Iowa State Patrol and other officers chased the suspect at high speeds. Robinson says the suspect was stopped using stop sticks, a tire-deflation device.
Police say the suspect then shot himself.
Authorities believe no officers were injured. The names of the suspect and victim have not been released.
Copyright Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
- Suspect Pursuit
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- After HOA demands pro-cop flag taken down, family shows support for LE in a different way
- Sheriff: Suspect opened fire on Texas deputy’s children, home in 'attack'
- 50 to 60 teens swarm Calif. train, rob weekend riders
- Video: SC motorcycle pursuit ends in fatal wreck
- 10 ways law enforcement ruined me as a woman