Ill. police station trying to reduce carbon footprint
By Carmen Greco Jr.
CHICAGO — To some residents in Orland Park, the village's new police station looks more like an abandoned building overgrown with weeds -- one that may even be lowering their property values.
But those "weeds" are actually natural prairie landscaping -- done to conserve water, eliminate the use of lawn chemicals and pesticides and reduce carbon emissions from lawn mowers.
Copyright © 2013 LexisNexis, a division of Reed Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- After HOA demands pro-cop flag taken down, family shows support for LE in a different way
- 50 to 60 teens swarm Calif. train, rob weekend riders
- Sheriff: Suspect opened fire on Texas deputy’s children, home in 'attack'
- Video: SC motorcycle pursuit ends in fatal wreck
- Del. trooper killed, suspect barricaded in house