Marine arrested after shooting at Calif. officers
EL CAJON, Calif. — Police say a 19-year-old Marine has been arrested on suspicion of attempted murder for allegedly shooting at two California Highway Patrol officers near San Diego.
El Cajon police say they detained Pvt. Edward Michael Forney at Miramar Marine Corps Air Station on Monday and booked him into jail in San Diego on Tuesday.
Police say Forney was a passenger in a car driven by 23-year-old Charles Neal early Sunday when officers attempted to pull over the driver on suspicion of drunken driving.
Police say the driver sped away. They say the passenger then fired shots at officers and officers returned fire. Police say the car was abandoned blocks away and the occupants fled. No officers were hurt.
Police say Neal remains at large.
Copyright Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- 84-year-old cop retires after 61 years on force
- Wash. officer shot multiple times during domestic call dies
- No charges for Charlotte officer who fatally shot Keith Lamont Scott
- Retired RI cop helps Fla. trooper under attack
- Fla. woman urinates, defecates in patrol car after throwing dog into traffic