Ala. cop's brother suspect in murder of other officer
PELHAM, Ala. — The man suspected of slaying a Pelham police officer is the brother of a Trussville police officer, authorities said today.
Both the officer and the accused shooter were taken into custody early this morning at Interstate 65 at U.S. 31 by the Hoover Police, authorities said. The men left the Hoover Police Department about 8 a.m. today en route to the Shelby County Jail in Columbiana.
A preliminary investigation shows that after the shooter killed the officer at 11:50 p.m. during a traffic stop in Pelham -- part of which was caught on video tape -- he fled to the Inglenook area in east Birmingham, police said. A short time later, police said, the suspect's brother, the Trussville officer, picked him up in his own truck.
Read full story: Pelham police shooting suspect surrendered without incident
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- Wash. officer shot multiple times during domestic call dies
- 84-year-old cop retires after 61 years on force
- No charges for Charlotte officer who fatally shot Keith Lamont Scott
- Retired RI cop helps Fla. trooper under attack
- Fla. woman urinates, defecates in patrol car after throwing dog into traffic