First female NY trooper killed on-duty in crash
Trooper Jill Mattice collided with a truck
Duty Death: Trooper Jill Mattice - [Morris, New York]
MORRIS, N.Y. — State police say a trooper has been killed in a collision with a tractor-trailer, making her the first female New York state trooper to die in the line of duty.
Police say 31-year-old Trooper Jill Mattice was traveling east on State Route 23 in upstate New York when her cruiser collided with the westbound truck Wednesday afternoon in the Otsego County town of Morris, 57 miles southeast of Syracuse.
Police say Mattice was pronounced dead at the scene.
State police Mattice was a six-year veteran stationed at the Oneonta (oh-nee-AHN'-tuh) barracks and assigned as the school resource officer for two local school districts.
The cause of the crash is under investigation.
Copyright Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- After HOA demands pro-cop flag taken down, family shows support for LE in a different way
- Sheriff: Suspect opened fire on Texas deputy’s children, home in 'attack'
- 50 to 60 teens swarm Calif. train, rob weekend riders
- Video: SC motorcycle pursuit ends in fatal wreck
- Del. trooper killed, suspect barricaded in house