SC deputy dies after 'freak accident'
The officer was pinned between his patrol car and a tree
Duty Death: Deputy William Schuck - [Oconee County , South Carolina]
OCONEE COUNTY, S.C. — Law enforcement officers in two states are mourning the death of an Oconee County sheriff's deputy who died when his patrol car pinned him to a tree in what authorities are calling an on-duty accident.
William “Bill” Frederick Schuck III, 26, was patrolling a private dirt road off State 11 near Walhalla when his patrol car became stuck about 1:35 a.m. Sunday, Oconee County Coroner Karl Addis said.
He got out of the car and was apparently surveying the situation when it went forward and pinned him to the tree, Addis said.
State troopers are investigating, said Lance Cpl. Scot Edgeworth. After an autopsy, Addis said the cause of death was traumatic asphyxiation and was classified as accidental.
Read full story: S.C. deputy dies after getting pinned near tree
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- After HOA demands pro-cop flag taken down, family shows support for LE in a different way
- Video: SC motorcycle pursuit ends in fatal wreck
- 50 to 60 teens swarm Calif. train, rob weekend riders
- Sheriff: Suspect opened fire on Texas deputy’s children, home in 'attack'
- 10 ways law enforcement ruined me as a woman