NJ officer dies from accidental gunshot wound
Officer Kevin Wilkins was trying to put a rubber sleeve on the grip of his pistol when it discharged
Duty Death: Officer Kevin Wilkins - [Atlantic City, New Jersey]
By PoliceOne Staff
ATLANTIC CITY, N.J. — An Atlantic City police officer died of an accidental gunshot wound while on duty. Authorities say that Officer Kevin B. Wilkins was trying to put a rubber sleeve on the grip of his pistol while sitting in his patrol car when he was struck in the face by the round in the chamber. He had removed the ammunition clip, but the gun accidentally discharged, according to The Associated Press.
The Press of Atlanta City reports that other officers were near the scene and rushed to save Wilkins, but he was pronounced dead 15 minutes after the incident. Wilkins was loved and respected in his community, and his death has been called a great loss by Police Chief John Mooney.
Officer Wilkins had served with the Atlantic City Police Department for two years, according to the Cape May County Herald.
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- Trooper under investigation for calling ICE to report illegal immigrant
- Bystander helps officer under attack by jumping on suspect's back
- Sheriff Joe successor pulls back on immigration holds in jails
- Police say newly freed gang member killed Calif. officer
- Ala. church asks for its own police department