Beer-swigging gunman shot dead by Calif. cops
Drank for one hour inside a 7-11 and then pointed a gun at police
By Henry K. Lee
San Francisco Chronicle
SAN RAMON, Calif. — An armed man suspected of a nightlong crime spree was shot and killed by law enforcement officers in San Ramon early Thursday after he stormed into a convenience store, spent more than an hour inside drinking alcohol, then pointed his gun at police after taking one last swig of beer, authorities said.
Joseph John Baumgardner, 24, who lived in San Ramon and San Jose, was shot by numerous Contra Costa County law enforcement officers outside the 7-Eleven store at 2500 San Ramon Valley Blvd. at about 3:30 a.m., said San Ramon Police Chief Scott Holder.
Copyright © 2013 LexisNexis, a division of Reed Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.
Full story: Beer-swigging gunman shot dead by Calif. cops
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- 84-year-old cop retires after 61 years on force
- Wash. officer shot multiple times during domestic call dies
- No charges for Charlotte officer who fatally shot Keith Lamont Scott
- Retired RI cop helps Fla. trooper under attack
- Fla. woman urinates, defecates in patrol car after throwing dog into traffic