'Drug-hunting lizard' joins Ariz. police
Officer Iroh was deputized as an April Fools joke, but continues to help the Avondale officers with different tasks
By PoliceOne Staff
AVONDALE, Ariz. — A new animal has joined the Avondale Police Department: a bearded dragon lizard.
Officer Iroh was given a badge and officially sworn in April 13 as a continuation of a running joke the department posts to their Facebook.
“Research has shown that reptiles possess a strong sense of smell making their ability to detect certain illicit drugs possibly more accurate than K-9s,” the department wrote in the original April Fools post from last year. “Our pilot program drug sniffing bearded dragon will be assisting officers in the city. Please help us welcome Iroh!”
Although he won’t be sniffing out drugs anytime soon, Iroh is still “helping” officers with tasks and providing support.
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- Sheriff: Suspect opened fire on Texas deputy’s children, home in 'attack'
- After HOA demands pro-cop flag taken down, family shows support for LE in a different way
- 50 to 60 teens swarm Calif. train, rob weekend riders
- Video: SC motorcycle pursuit ends in fatal wreck
- Del. trooper killed, suspect barricaded in house