Police Red Dog unit disbanded in Atlanta
Units that were created to come down hard on criminals are being dumped nationwide because of liability issues
By Steve Visser
The Atlanta Journal-Constitution
ATLANTA — Cristina Beamud's job may get a little easier now that the Atlanta Police's Red Dog unit is being disbanded.
"We have a disproportionate number of complaints about officers who belong to the Red Dog unit as opposed to officers involved in the zones," said Beamud, executive director of the Atlanta Citizen Review Board that investigates citizens complaints against police for such things as excessive force or abusive language.
Copyright © 2013 LexisNexis, a division of Reed Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.
Full story: Police Red Dog unit disbanded in Atlanta
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- Sheriff: Suspect opened fire on Texas deputy’s children, home in 'attack'
- After HOA demands pro-cop flag taken down, family shows support for LE in a different way
- 50 to 60 teens swarm Calif. train, rob weekend riders
- Video: SC motorcycle pursuit ends in fatal wreck
- Facing massive officer shortage, Ariz. agencies looking to hire hundreds