Suspect charged in gay Ga. man's videotaped beating
Police spokesman Carlos Campos said Saturday that officers have charged 18-year-old Christopher Cain with aggravated assault
ATLANTA — Atlanta police have arrested a suspect in the beating of a 20-year-old gay man that was captured on a widely viewed video.
Police spokesman Carlos Campos said Saturday that officers have charged 18-year-old Christopher Cain with aggravated assault and robbery in the Feb. 4 attack outside a southwest Atlanta store.
Police are still seeking two other suspects in the beating of Brandon White. Their names haven't been released.
Federal authorities are investigating the attack as a possible hate crime. Gay slurs are heard in the video as White is beaten. White told reporters that he shouldn't have to fear for his life because he is gay.
At a rally Saturday, community residents turned out in cold weather to support White. The Atlanta Journal-Constitution reports that U.S. Rep. John Lewis urged the crowd to continue speaking out "when you see something going wrong."
Copyright 2012 Associated Press
Copyright Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- After HOA demands pro-cop flag taken down, family shows support for LE in a different way
- Sheriff: Suspect opened fire on Texas deputy’s children, home in 'attack'
- 50 to 60 teens swarm Calif. train, rob weekend riders
- Video: SC motorcycle pursuit ends in fatal wreck
- Del. trooper killed, suspect barricaded in house