Handcuffed man shoots himself in back of squad
A police report says Carter was in the back of a patrol car with his hands cuffed behind his back when officers discovered he'd been shot
JONESBORO, Ark. — Authorities in Jonesboro are investigating after a handcuffed man fatally shot himself while sitting in the back of a patrol car.
The Jonesboro Sun reports that 21-year-old Chavis Chacobie Carter shot himself Saturday night. Carter, who was from Southaven, Miss., had been picked up on a felony warrant from Mississippi. Jonesboro Police Chief Mike Yates says his department is now conducting an internal investigation after the death.
A police report says Carter was in the back of a patrol car with his hands cuffed behind his back when officers discovered he'd been shot. He was taken to a hospital where he later died.
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- DC cops' body cams won't be on while they monitor inauguration demonstrators
- Slain Fla. officer's cuffs used to arrest suspect
- Pa. cop sues Wal-Mart over termination for carrying gun on duty
- Details emerge in shooting of Ariz. trooper by driver he sought to help
- Video: Alleged Fla. cop killer refuses lawyer, shouts profanities in court