Man killed after Ohio deputies drop him off
The trooper who responded to the first call has been placed on administrative duties
By Mark Ferenchik
The Columbus Dispatch
COLUMBUS, Ohio — The State Highway Patrol and the Delaware County sheriff's office are investigating an incident last month in which deputies dropped a reportedly intoxicated man at a fast-food restaurant, and he walked away and was struck and killed by a sport-utility vehicle.
Uriel Juarez Popoca, 22, of the Northwest Side, was killed on July 28 while walking west on the Rt. 36 bridge over Alum Creek in Delaware County.
According to a report released by the Highway Patrol, here's what happened that night:
Copyright © 2013 LexisNexis, a division of Reed Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.
Full story: Man killed after Ohio deputies drop him off
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- Sheriff: Suspect opened fire on Texas deputy’s children, home in 'attack'
- After HOA demands pro-cop flag taken down, family shows support for LE in a different way
- 50 to 60 teens swarm Calif. train, rob weekend riders
- Video: SC motorcycle pursuit ends in fatal wreck
- Del. trooper killed, suspect barricaded in house