3 killed when SUV fleeing police crashes into them
Birmingham police said the suspects' SUV ran a red light
BIRMINGHAM, Ala. — Alabama authorities say three people were killed — including an infant — when an SUV fleeing a robbery slammed into their vehicle in Birmingham.
Birmingham police Sgt. Matthew Nicosia says a man, woman and the child were killed in the Monday night collision.
Police tell AL.com that officers began chasing the suspects' white SUV after a Walker County robbery. The chase wound through that county and entered west Birmingham.
Birmingham police Sgt. John Callahan says the suspects' SUV ran a red light and then crashed into the vehicle. All three people in the car that was hit were pronounced dead at the scene.
Authorities say the suspects fled on foot into nearby woods, and a helicopter was dispatched to search for them.
Copyright 2012 Associated Press
Copyright Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- After HOA demands pro-cop flag taken down, family shows support for LE in a different way
- Video: SC motorcycle pursuit ends in fatal wreck
- 50 to 60 teens swarm Calif. train, rob weekend riders
- 10 ways law enforcement ruined me as a woman
- Video: Mo. governor completes SWAT challenge in honor of slain deputy