Video: Gift-snatching thieves cornered by cops
Three 'anti-santas' made off with presents from three homes in December before police caught them
By PoliceOne Staff
CASTLE GRESLEY, England — Dash cam footage released Tuesday shows police pursuing and eventually arresting a trio of thieves who had stolen Christmas presents from multiple homes and made off in a white van.
Darren Hackett, Francis Gilsenan and Daniel Sheridan broke into a home in Castle Gresley, England, last December and loaded gifts into the homeowner’s van — which they also stole, according to the Express and Star.
The men, who came to be known as ‘anti-santas,’ made two more stops before police spotted them and a pursuit ensued.
A spike strip was deployed, deflating a tire and quickly ending the pursuit. Police and K-9 units can be seen cornering the suspects.
Hackett, 31, received a five-year sentence for burglary and dangerous driving. Gilsenan and Sheridan each received two years, according to the article.
“These were particularly cruel crimes: they stole Christmas presents like games consoles that were clearly destined for young children. They’ll now be spending several Christmases behind bars,” said Sgt. Nick Barnes.
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- After HOA demands pro-cop flag taken down, family shows support for LE in a different way
- Video: SC motorcycle pursuit ends in fatal wreck
- 50 to 60 teens swarm Calif. train, rob weekend riders
- Sheriff: Suspect opened fire on Texas deputy’s children, home in 'attack'
- 10 ways law enforcement ruined me as a woman