logo for print

Maine officer fatally shoots man who pointed gun at him

Cameron Arrigoni, 21, was mortally shot when he pointed a handgun at two officers

By Nok-Noi Ricker
Bangor Daily News, Maine

HAMPDEN, Maine — A police officer responding to a call for help with a suicidal man Sunday night ended up fatally shooting him when he pointed a gun at the officer and another, Hampden police Chief Joe Rogers said Monday.

Cameron Arrigoni, 21, was mortally shot when he pointed a handgun at Sgt. Chris Bailey and Officer Bill Miller, who were called to 36 Main Road South at about 9:20 p.m., the police chief said.

A 24-year-old woman who lives at the residence with Arrigoni called police to say he was suicidal.

While en route, "officers heard there was some altercation between the female and the male," Rogers said.

The woman had locked herself into an upstairs bedroom and an armed Arrigoni was trying to break down the door, the police chief said.

"They went up into the second story where the suspect pointed a gun at Officer Bailey," Rogers said. "Bailey fired his weapon."

Bailey is a 20-year veteran of the department, the chief said.

"Obviously, he's upset," Rogers said.

Hamdpen police had never dealt with Arrigoni in the past, the police chief said.

The Maine attorney general's office is investigating, as it does with all police shootings. Bailey was placed on paid administrative leave until the investigation is completed, which is protocol.

Bailey left the police station at about 4:30 a.m. with his family, who arrived to support him, the police chief said.

The incident occurred near Reeds Brook Middle School and temporarily closed Main Road South late Sunday night. Officers from the Penobscot County Sheriff's Office and Maine State Police also responded to the incident.

Troopers Tucker Bonnevie, Steve Morrell, Trevor Snow, Jonah O'Roak and Forrest Simpson and Sgt. Scott Hamilton assisted Hampden, the state police website states.

The shooting is the second to occur over the weekend involving armed people and police. An 18-year-old man from Wells was shot by a Maine State Police trooper on Saturday night. James Reynolds, who had a hunting rifle on him while walking along Roy Road in West Paris at about 6:45 p.m., was shot by Trooper Jason Wing.

The teenager is currently recovering at Central Maine Medical Center in Lewiston and was listed in serious condition Monday afternoon, a hospital official said.

Copyright 2013 the Bangor Daily News

McClatchy-Tribune News Service

Recommended for you

Join the discussion

Copyright © 2018 PoliceOne.com. All rights reserved.