K-9 hurt in subway brawl becomes celebrity
Everyone wants to know how Bear is doing after suffering several broken teeth and a hurt snout
By PoliceOne Staff
NEW YORK — The 6-year-old German Shepherd who made headlines last week for his battle scars after coming between women fighting in a subway station has been making television appearances ever since.
Bear and his handler, Officer Vincent Tieniber, worked to detain the women, one of whom kicked Bear in the snout, breaking 4 teeth and cutting his tongue, according to NBC. Despite his injuries, Bear kept a firm hold on her foot with his mouth until Tieniber could handcuff her.
"Everybody’s worried about his teeth," a lieutenant told the NY Times.
Tieniber assured the media and concerned public that Bear was okay and planned to have two teeth capped and the other two filed down.
News outlets including ABC, CBS, New York Daily News, and Newsday all featured the recovering K-9 and his gruesome subway takedown.
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- After HOA demands pro-cop flag taken down, family shows support for LE in a different way
- Video: SC motorcycle pursuit ends in fatal wreck
- 50 to 60 teens swarm Calif. train, rob weekend riders
- Sheriff: Suspect opened fire on Texas deputy’s children, home in 'attack'
- 10 ways law enforcement ruined me as a woman