NC police shoot, kill alligator that ate dog
An 80-pound husky was eaten when it ran to the water's edge at dusk with its owner
JACKSONVILLE, N.C. — A public safety officer in eastern North Carolina shot and killed an alligator after it ate an 80-pound Husky that was walking with its owner.
Officials in Jacksonville, N.C., said a woman was walking the dog at dusk Tuesday when it ran to the edge of the water near a local shopping center. Alligators usually feed around dusk.
Jacksonville public safety and N.C. Wildlife Resources Commission officers searched for the alligator Wednesday morning. Public Safety spokeswoman Beth Purcell said officials discussed capturing and relocating the alligator, but decided that in the interest of public safety, the alligator had to be killed. A public safety officer shot the alligator, which disappeared below the surface of the water.
The alligator's body was recovered later in the afternoon.
Copyright 2013 Associated Press
Copyright Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- DC officers cannot record inauguration demonstrators
- Slain Fla. officer's cuffs used to arrest suspect
- Pa. cop sues Wal-Mart over termination for carrying gun on duty
- Pa. troopers union criticizes plan to scrap lie-detector tests for recruits
- Details emerge in shooting of Ariz. trooper by driver he sought to help