NY cop shot responding to burglars, 2 in custody
Officer Mohit Arora was shot in the hip when he walked in on a robbery-in-progress
By PoliceOne Staff
NEW YORK — A Nassau County police officer was shot by a thief early Wednesday morning responding to a burglary call.
Mohit Arora, 32, was the first officer on the scene at a home in New Hyde Park and approached two suspected burglars, when they opened fire, hitting Arora in the hip as they fled the home, according to the New York Post.
“He raised his gun and fired upon the officer, striking him in his hip,” said Nassau County Detective Michael Bitsko. “The officers then returned fire and a short foot pursuit occurred.”
“At that time, the subjects fired upon the officers and they were apprehended a short distance away.”
Arora is currently listed in stable condition.
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- Video: Deputy shoots armed man who charged at him during traffic stop
- Va. sheriff’s office forced to remove 'blessed are the peacemakers' decals
- Judge haunted by release of man in deadly Ohio shootings
- Off-duty cop helps detain man who tried to break cockpit door mid-flight
- UK police: 19 dead, roughly 50 injured after explosion at Ariana Grande concert