Suspect wounded after lunging at NY cops with 2 machetes
Rene Loney, 49, was arrested and charged with menacing a police officer and criminal possession of a weapon
By Ivan Pereira
amNewYork, New York
CROWN HEIGHTS, N.Y. — Cops shot and wounded a machete-wielding man who confronted them in Crown Heights Saturday night, NYPD said.
Rene Loney, 49, was arrested and charged with menacing a police officer and criminal possession of a weapon after he was shot around 8 p.m. near his East 46th Street home in Flatbush.
NYPD said two officers saw Loney walk out of an apartment building armed with a machete in each hand. When Loney allegedly approached them, one of the officers shot him in the right forearm and hip. Loney was taken to Kings County Hospital in stable condition while the officers were treated at Methodist Hospital for Tinnitus.
Copyright 2013 amNewYork
McClatchy-Tribune News Service
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- DC officers cannot record inauguration demonstrators
- Pa. cop sues Wal-Mart over termination for carrying gun on duty
- Slain Fla. officer's cuffs used to arrest suspect
- Pa. troopers union criticizes plan to scrap lie-detector tests for recruits
- Details emerge in shooting of Ariz. trooper by driver he sought to help