Video released of Ore. police finding gunman who ambushed cop
As police sat quietly deciding their next move, the gunman's son exited the car and walked toward police
By Les Zaits
PORTLAND, Ore — Police on the hunt for a gunman who shot Oregon State Police trooper Matt Zistel in August found their suspect parked along Interstate 84, a half-mile from where the gun battle erupted.
Officers quickly shut down traffic for a 5-mile stretch of freeway between Biggs Junction and Rufus to deal with the gunman, John V. Allen, 34.
Police were mulling their options when one of Allen’s children, 13-year-old Justin Allen, stepped out of the car and walked back to police. He told police his father appeared to be dead and his two siblings — John Allen III, 15, and Charity Allen, 10 — remained in the car.
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- DC cops' body cams won't be on while they monitor inauguration demonstrators
- Slain Fla. officer's cuffs used to arrest suspect
- Pa. cop sues Wal-Mart over termination for carrying gun on duty
- Details emerge in shooting of Ariz. trooper by driver he sought to help
- Texas cops don cowboy hats with uniforms