Truckers help police catch drunk wrong-way driver
The suspect nearly hit a police officer, who lost site of the suspect but caught up after the truckers followed the vehicle
HOUSTON — Wrecker drivers helped Houston police officers catch a suspected drunk driver who was traveling the wrong way on the freeway early Monday.
An HPD officer spotted a Cadillac driving the wrong way on 610 near Ella around 4 a.m. The driver almost hit the police officer, who ended up losing sight of him, but wrecker drivers who were hearing it all on police scanners sprang into action.
“He ended up turning around and going the right way on the freeway and that is when we caught up to him and we just followed him over here until the officers caught up to him,” said Joshua Damon. The driver is facing DWI charges.
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- Video: Deputy shoots armed man who charged at him during traffic stop
- Judge haunted by release of man in deadly Ohio shootings
- Off-duty cop helps detain man who tried to break cockpit door mid-flight
- Va. sheriff’s office forced to remove 'blessed are the peacemakers' decals
- Actor Tom Hanks is on the beat, flagging car for police