NY man tries to drown cops in swamp, steal gun
Anthony Shackelford was pulled over for a traffic violation and caught with crack cocaine
By Paul Brooks
MONTICELLO, N.Y. — A Monticello man tried to grab the gun of a Monticello police officer and drown him and another officer in a futile effort to evade capture on drug charges Saturday, police said.
Anthony Shackelford, 43, was arraigned and jailed on a slew of felony charges. At 10 a.m. Saturday, police said, Officer John Calvello Jr. stopped a Jeep Liberty for an alleged traffic violation on Hillside Avenue. Shackelford was found with crack cocaine and bolted from officers, according to police.
The foot chase led Shackelford to a swamp behind the Evergreen Drive housing complex, police said, and when officers chased him into the swamp, Shackelford wrestled with them and tried to grab Calvello's holstered hand gun.
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- DC cops' body cams won't be on while they monitor inauguration demonstrators
- Slain Fla. officer's cuffs used to arrest suspect
- Pa. cop sues Wal-Mart over termination for carrying gun on duty
- Details emerge in shooting of Ariz. trooper by driver he sought to help
- Texas cops don cowboy hats with uniforms