A reminder about terrorism indicators
The State Department has issued guidance to American travelers abroad that terrorists may be planning an attack in Europe modeled after the November 2008 attack in Mumbai that killed 166 people.
This is as good a time as any to reinforce some basic things to keep in mind while on patrol, because as PoliceOne Columnist Ron Avery wrote here, and PoliceOne Columnist Dick Fairburn said here, it’s not a matter of “if” but of “when” a Mumbai-style attack is attempted here in the United States.
A friend of PoliceOne at LEO.gov recently distributed a resource containing some excellent insights, and with his permission we pass them along below.
He writes, “These are potential indicators. Investigators must take into account the totality of the circumstances when initiating further action.”
Add your own insights in the comments.
• Specialized training manuals
• Blueprints and/or building plans
• Documentation about critical infrastructure points
• Numerous prepaid calling cards and/or mobile phones
• Documentation about high-profile sites
• Vehicle riding low in rear
• Unusual wires/switches
• Large boxes, bags or containers
• Odor of fuel or chemicals evident
• Parked near critical interest area
• Observation of smoke from vehicle
• Note taking
• Prolonged loitering
• Penetration attempts
• Surreptitious camera use
• Unusual interest in security