Calif. sheriff's volunteers praised for dedicated service in times of budget cuts
By Paula King
Contra Costa Times
Because San Joaquin County has no search-and-rescue team, the highly trained volunteers from Contra Costa County's squad were called out twice to help find Sandra Cantu, the missing 8-year-old from Tracy.
Contra Costa's team was the largest single group that assisted in the search for the girl, who was ultimately found dead in a dairy pond. More than 100 of the 336 total searchers helped over two weekends earlier this spring. They also coordinated the massive mutual effort involving volunteers.
Copyright © 2013 LexisNexis, a division of Reed Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- After HOA demands pro-cop flag taken down, family shows support for LE in a different way
- 50 to 60 teens swarm Calif. train, rob weekend riders
- Video: SC motorcycle pursuit ends in fatal wreck
- Sheriff: Suspect opened fire on Texas deputy’s children, home in 'attack'
- 10 ways law enforcement ruined me as a woman