Calif. sheriff's volunteers praised for dedicated service in times of budget cuts
By Paula King
Contra Costa Times
Because San Joaquin County has no search-and-rescue team, the highly trained volunteers from Contra Costa County's squad were called out twice to help find Sandra Cantu, the missing 8-year-old from Tracy.
Contra Costa's team was the largest single group that assisted in the search for the girl, who was ultimately found dead in a dairy pond. More than 100 of the 336 total searchers helped over two weekends earlier this spring. They also coordinated the massive mutual effort involving volunteers.
Copyright © 2013 LexisNexis, a division of Reed Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- DC cops' body cams won't be on while they monitor inauguration demonstrators
- Slain Fla. officer's cuffs used to arrest suspect
- Pa. cop sues Wal-Mart over termination for carrying gun on duty
- Details emerge in shooting of Ariz. trooper by driver he sought to help
- Texas cops don cowboy hats with uniforms