Rapid recruiting boosts Atlanta PD ranks
Department grows as economy lags — mayor says hiring will continue
By Bill Rankin
The Atlanta Journal-Constitution
ATLANTA — More than a decade ago, the mantra at City Hall was 2,000 by 2000 --- the number of sworn Atlanta police officers who would be on the force by the turn of the millennium. But the city never came close to that.
Today, the more realistic goal is 2,000 by the end of 2012, and if the Atlanta Police Department's recruiting campaign continues its pace of hiring, the force may finally reach that level.
Copyright © 2013 LexisNexis, a division of Reed Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.
Full story: Rapid recruiting boosts Atlanta PD ranks
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- DC officers cannot record inauguration demonstrators
- Slain Fla. officer's cuffs used to arrest suspect
- Pa. cop sues Wal-Mart over termination for carrying gun on duty
- Pa. troopers union criticizes plan to scrap lie-detector tests for recruits
- Details emerge in shooting of Ariz. trooper by driver he sought to help