A wrenching day for laid-off NJ police
"When a doctor is laid off, he's still a doctor" said one cop. An officer loses the ability to identify himself as such
By Mike Newall
The Philadelphia Inquirer
CAMDEN, NJ — Officer John Martinez couldn't sleep Monday night. With 10 years on the Camden Police Department, Martinez, 38, was halfway to a pension. His wife is three months pregnant.
Hours before he was to turn in his badge, reality had sunk in.
Copyright © 2013 LexisNexis, a division of Reed Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.
Full story: A wrenching day for laid-off NJ police
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- 84-year-old cop retires after 61 years on force
- Wash. officer shot multiple times during domestic call dies
- Retired RI cop helps Fla. trooper under attack
- Police: Marksman fatally shot Wash. cop killer who was using child as shield
- Photo: Son of slain Mo. cop receives teddy bears made from dad’s uniform