Schools are cutting SROs as budgets tighten
Others are finding ways to keep the deputies and police officers whose job it is to build bridges with students
By Allison Manning
The Columbus Dispatch
DELAWARE COUNTY, Ohio — After voters rejected two requests for property tax levies, Big Walnut schools in Delaware County cut $5.6 million from its budget and eliminated 42 staff positions over two years.
But Deputy Mark Kern, the district's school resource officer, was safe despite his $44,000 price tag.
Copyright © 2013 LexisNexis, a division of Reed Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.
Full story: Schools are cutting SROs as budgets tighten
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- DC cops' body cams won't be on while they monitor inauguration demonstrators
- Slain Fla. officer's cuffs used to arrest suspect
- Pa. cop sues Wal-Mart over termination for carrying gun on duty
- Details emerge in shooting of Ariz. trooper by driver he sought to help
- Texas cops don cowboy hats with uniforms