Spokane mayor gets vast new power over police
Creation of six new departments within police department potentially gives mayor option of appointing director, assistant director for each
By Jonathan Brunt
SPOKANE, Wash. — Spokane Mayor David Condon has won vast new power to hire and remove top fire and police administrators.
The Spokane City Council on Monday narrowly approved the creation of six new departments within the Police Department and seven within the Fire Department, potentially giving the mayor the power to appoint a director and assistant director of each new department.
Copyright © 2013 LexisNexis, a division of Reed Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.
Full story: Spokane mayor gets vast new power over police
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- Sheriff: Suspect opened fire on Texas deputy’s children, home in 'attack'
- After HOA demands pro-cop flag taken down, family shows support for LE in a different way
- 50 to 60 teens swarm Calif. train, rob weekend riders
- Video: SC motorcycle pursuit ends in fatal wreck
- Del. trooper killed, suspect barricaded in house