Spokane mayor gets vast new power over police
Creation of six new departments within police department potentially gives mayor option of appointing director, assistant director for each
By Jonathan Brunt
SPOKANE, Wash. — Spokane Mayor David Condon has won vast new power to hire and remove top fire and police administrators.
The Spokane City Council on Monday narrowly approved the creation of six new departments within the Police Department and seven within the Fire Department, potentially giving the mayor the power to appoint a director and assistant director of each new department.
Copyright © 2013 LexisNexis, a division of Reed Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.
Full story: Spokane mayor gets vast new power over police
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- DC cops' body cams won't be on while they monitor inauguration demonstrators
- Slain Fla. officer's cuffs used to arrest suspect
- Pa. cop sues Wal-Mart over termination for carrying gun on duty
- Details emerge in shooting of Ariz. trooper by driver he sought to help
- Video: Alleged Fla. cop killer refuses lawyer, shouts profanities in court