Tenn. trooper saves man who attempted suicide
Mooneyham, of the Tennessee Highway Patrol, said that when he found the man, he had a rope tied around his neck. The man jumped when the officer arrived.
Using his pocket knife, the officer cut the rope to let the man fall, then rushed down an embankment to reach him.
"When I got to him, he wasn't breathing, but I got the noose off his neck and shook him," Mooneyham said. "He coughed and started breathing again."
Authorities said the 19-year-old man had left a suicide note. After he was revived, the man told Mooneyham he had been despondent about a death in his family.
The man was taken to an area hospital.
Copyright Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- Video: Mich. cop shatters car window after driver refuses to give ID
- Man blows up hand while attempting to kill 2 Ky. deputies
- Okla. chief defends cop after TASER threat sparks controversy, video released
- Man who claimed girlfriend choked during oral sex acquitted in murder case
- Police: 'Severely battered' off-duty Del. trooper fatally shoots boyfriend