Pursuing a gunman after taking a bullet? 'It's my job,' says Philly cop
By Nancy Phillips
The Philadelphia Inquirer
PHILADELPHIA — When a gunman fired at Officer Mariano Santiago, the slug hit him squarely on the shoulder, next to a tattoo of St. Michael the Archangel.
"My guardian angel was with me that night," Santiago said. "He caught the bullet in his hand."
As he ducked for cover in his cruiser and reached for his gun, two more bullets pierced the driver's headrest.
Copyright © 2013 LexisNexis, a division of Reed Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- After HOA demands pro-cop flag taken down, family shows support for LE in a different way
- 50 to 60 teens swarm Calif. train, rob weekend riders
- Video: SC motorcycle pursuit ends in fatal wreck
- 10 ways law enforcement ruined me as a woman
- Video: Mo. governor completes SWAT challenge in honor of slain deputy